Thursday, June 23, 2011

ORANGE CHOCOLATE BROWNIES… and a Guest Post

SHARING


Here I am, surrounded by my own brand of mess, desk half straightened yet not quite, baking supplies lined up on the spare space allowed on a kitchen table not yet cleared of breakfast dishes, one too many writing projects awaiting my attention as the documents line up impatiently on my computer desktop. E-mails tap their hypothetical fingers and toes, arms crossed and annoyance glowing almost audibly as one, two, three more ask for my participation in this activity or that challenge, demanding immediate action. I love being solicited, I am fueled by writing projects, I am more than flattered by each request for help, yet how can I possibly take on more and more as disorderly as I am, as chaotic as is my life?

When I received a request from Anuradha to guest post on her blog Bakerstreet, I immediately said Yes!, very excited at having been asked, eager to support a fellow blogger. I have been twittering with her for quite some time and have always found her adorable, sweet, kind and generous, so of course I would say yes to whatever she asked of me. I have watched her tentative steps towards confirming her blog, and I feel somewhat like a mother supporting and cheering on a daughter. And something inside of me is still thrilled and filled with wonder when approached to lend a helping hand, advice or support. Yet when I step back and see all of my obligations, everything that I have collected around me and taken on, I wonder how I will ever find the time to do it all. And I wonder if indeed I am crazy…. (please click here to read the rest of the post and discover this fabulous recipe!)


This week, as Meeta, Jeanna, Ilva and I finish the last details which will forever close the Plate to Page Weimar workshop, a truly unforgettable weekend, and open up the next chapter as we begin organizing the second workshop in Tuscany, as JP and I plan our bicycle trip up the Canal Nantes-Brest, I will make this blog post short and sweet. Anuradha, a wonderful, kind friend, asked me to guest post on her lovely little blog, Bakerstreet. I immediately said yes, never doubting my excitement and pleasure in guest posting. As I pondered over what to write on this guest post, one thought kept popping into my head: the noise made about a certain food blogging workshop held in the US the same weekend as our Plate to Page workshop in Weimar. Many bloggers complained about being snubbed by “big” bloggers who seemed content to gather and remain amongst their own “special” clique, neither desiring nor needing the attention of the “lesser known” bloggers. I was stunned as I read one post after the next with the same criticism and disappointment bordering on disillusion. What are we if not a community? What I am as a blogger without my readers who read, support and encourage me? And with this thought about my own feelings on the subject, please dash on over to Anuradha’s blog to read the rest of my guest post and where you can find the recipe for these luscious, moist brownies: deep, dark chocolate infused with the kick of Grand Marnier and bitter orange marmalade, a match made in culinary heaven and a dessert at once homey, comforting, intriguing and sophisticated. Enjoy!


I also would like to share two other posts and recipes of mine:


Destination Dessert: From My Father’s Kitchen to My French Wedding Lunch on The Rambling Epicure. I share a family favorite, my dad’s recipe for Choux along with ideas and recipes on how to use Choux to make, among other things, Profiteroles and Pets-de-Nonne.


La Pinolata: My Italian Pine Nut Tart, certainly one of my family’s favorite desserts! My latest article and recipe on Huffington Post!


Don’t miss Weimar Impressions – the first Plate to Page workshop: photos from this our first P2P workshop, a rundown of the weekend’s activities as well as links to participants’ own write-ups of their experience at P2P on their own blogs.


And... (drum roll) coming soon to Twitter : Jamie & JP's Big Biking Adventure! Be sure to follow our travels, trials & tribulations as we make our way up the Canal Nantes-Brest on bicycle over the next week. With one change of clothes, a First Aid Kit, a camera and my sense of humor, I will be following in JP's wake, admiring the beauty of the landscape, the flora and fauna of the region, and grabbing a snack surreptitiously when I can. I have been promised the use of his iPhone (do I hear the word bribe?) so I can tweet with you along the way, giving up-to-the-minute details of our great adventure! Follow me at @lifesafeast and don't miss one single tweet!

27 comments:

Sanjeeta kk said...

Have always been an ardent fan of this blog...love the write ups and those B&W pictures you post here, Jamie. Every post of yours take me along with you to the places you visit or mention :)
Glad to interact and learn a lot from you. Love that chocolaty brownie from another good Twitter friend An.

Mardi @eatlivetravelwrite said...

Jamie I can't WAIT to follow along with your biking adventure - and I will be in the same time zone too! I hope we get a chance to meet in Paris :)

Debugcooking said...

Love your energy Jamie and cant wait to catch up on all updates via twitter...Im so glad we met!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, what awesome plans! Those brownies look mighty good. A classic combination that never fails to please!

Cheers,

Rosa

Priya said...

Brownies looks super fantastic and incredible..

Deeba PAB said...

You are the best sistah...truly the best!A bicycle trip for two...how absolutely lovely! The brownies are as good as they can get...and I love the support you offer to upcoming bloggers! Toot Toot my lovely...way to go! Disappointing to read about the US workshop and the feedback...sad!! Have a great adventure, bribe & all! {I know JP will regret ever offering you the 'bribe'...teehee}!

Sarah, Maison Cupcake said...

Mmm yum I am crazy about chocolate and orange things and doing it as brownies sets me into a frenzy!!

I'm holidaying in Carnac v soon, I must DM you as you might be on your way past whilst we're there?

A Thought For Food said...

You sure are a busy woman! Yowza! Can't wait to hear more!

Shulie said...

Jaime you are a kind friend. The brownies look awesome. More importantly am so impressed with your upcoming bike journey this coming week. How wonderful for you and your husband truly inspiring!!

Tanya said...

Mmmm, brownies. You know I have a fondness for them. Will pop over and read your guest post after this

Anyway, enjoy the bike trip. Um, are you serious about the one change of clothes? Oh dear... Enjoy it all and I'll be following along!!!

Jamie said...

@Tanya: HE told me we'd wear the same clothes all week. Anyway there isn't room for more in the saddlebags!

Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen said...

Your biking adventure sounds fabulous Jamie. Sometimes I wonder where you find the time and energy to do all of the things you do. Perhaps I should eat more of those delicious brownies. LOL
Sam

Barbara Bakes said...

You've been busy! Looking forward to reading all of the delicious posts. Have a great time biking. Buy a thick padded seat! ;)

Rambling Tart said...

Gorgeous, scrumptious, oh-so-delicious brownies, Jamie. :-) I'd love these with a tall glass of milk right now. :-)

Sarah said...

well said, the reason I love blogging is because of the community.
Your upcoming adventure sounds so romantic! I wonder what you'll eat along the way....

Julia @Mélanger said...

First, very jealous about your upcoming biking adventures. Sounds amazing. :)

On a separate note, I also saw some of the feedback re: the US food blogging conference.

If some "smaller bloggers" think that some of the "bigger bloggers" are ignoring them, then my advice would be to stop supporting those particular blogs and all the work they do. Stop visiting their blogs. Stop leaving comments. Stop following them on Twitter. Unfan them on Facebook. Walk away from them. Simple.

For me, blogging is about connecting and building a genuine community spirit with a group of similarly minded people. If someone is not interested in what you have to say -- and are only interested in you for their commercial gain -- then it's time to move on. For me, that's not what food blogging is about. And in fact, I wouldn't continue any form of relationship that was only one sided! That's crazy talk!!!!

Anna Johnston said...

Ohhhhhhhhh I cant wait for the biking adventures to begin. What a fabulous thing to do. Im jealous. :)
AND, the choccie cake looks amazing. Could goa slice now.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen said...

I love that you two are going on a biking adventure. I can't wait to hear all the juicy details!

Laurel said...

These chocolate and orange brownies sound delicious. Definitely a wonderful flavor combination, one that is quite sought-after around here. I will certainly try these. Thank you!

Neil Butterfield said...

It is the old story, if you want something done then ask a busy person to do it.

shaz said...

Oh Jamie, how exciting. Looking forward to your cycling tweets (there ought to be a special word for it). Will head over to your guest post now. I always think of you as one of the "big" bloggers. Big on style, substance and heart. :)

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate said...

Looking forward to more pictures of your biking adventure, and I know the girls and I will be baking chocolate brownies etc this weekend!

Three-Cookies said...

Interesting recipe. I am new to your blog and really love how you include old black and white photos in each post. Nice glimpse into the past

Jamie said...

@Neil Butterfield: LOL that made me laugh out loud! I think you must be right!

@Julia @ Mélanger: Thanks for such a response and I so agree with you! Thanks for putting it in black and white. One reason I love your blog (only one, there are many) is that your kindness, openess and humility show with each lovely post.

Jamie said...

@shaz : you are so lovely! I always told myself that if I ever did become one of the "big" bloggers - whatever that really means - then I would always stay quiet and humble. We are only "big" thanks to our readers and friends, right?

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

I usually just use a boxed brownie mix when making brownies. But I find that adding orange zest elevates the flavor quite a bit, and everyone loves it!

asiangrrl said...

Browneeeeeeeeeeeeees! Muuuuust haaaave! And, I say that brilliance emerges from chaos, so you've got it going on, Jamie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...