Thursday, May 3, 2012

APRIL IN PARIS bis

MONTHLY MINGLE ROUNDUP

Everything ends this way in France. 
Weddings, christenings, duels, burials, swindlings, affairs of state 
-- everything is a pretext for a good dinner. 
 - Jean Anouilh, Cécile ou l’École des Pères, 1954 


Paris may stir up images of the perfect romance for some, strolling hand in hand, arm slipped lightly through arm, with an elegant Parisien or Parisienne dressed head to toe in Dior under the Eiffel Tower or in the brilliant moonlight under the sparkling lights lining the Champs Elysées. Or shopping on the très chic Avenue Montaigne, snapping up Chanel suits or that perfect little black dress paired with those gorgeous Louboutins. Or Paris, where art meets the intellectual, spending an afternoon admiring the Renoirs and Monets, studying La Joconde or Le Penseur, or sipping absinthe in a sidewalk café with your literary circle debating Sartre or Camus. Old men playing boules in the Jardin du Luxembourg, couples entwined on fountain edges in Les Tuileries, well-dressed children scampering through the zoo at le Jardin des Plantes or under la Roseraie.



In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport. 
- Julia Child


Paris, for those such as I, evokes the odor of freshly baked croissants wafting out of open doorways of a corner boulangerie; the aroma of baguettes and chocolate intermingling with the lunchtime scents of steak frites and heavenly stews floating from bistros. Crêpes sold from stands on the boulevard or oysters tumbling down banks of ice under awnings in front of brasseries where towering seafood platters are placed before chattering businessmen or ladies who lunch; market stalls up and down roadways piled high with peaches, nectarines, cherries for the tasting or cheesemongers offering paper-thin slices of nutty comté, tangy chevre, pungent maroilles. Paris is synonymous with food and good eating, pastries and fine dining, from the Michelin-starred to traditional home cooking, la cuisine bonne femme, just like grand-mère made. Who doesn’t remember their very first pain au chocolat, their first jambon beurre baguette eaten from a crisp paper sleeve while sitting above the flowing Seine? Who can forget sipping their first café crème at a sidewalk café while watching the world dash by? Paris is indistinguishable from her cuisine, whether sole meunière and steak tartare et pommes gaufrettes, or couscous or nems, now well integrated into the culinary world of this most food centric city. And pastries, mousse and tartes of raspberries and lemon, chocolate éclairs or a bar of the finest chocolat tucked into a simple chunk of baguette?


Which is why I selected April in Paris for my Monthly Mingle. France and Food just seemed natural companions, dining companions, if you will, and so I requested all to cook or bake something French to bring to the table. So join us à table, pull up and chair with Meeta and I as we offer you entrée + plat + dessert for this month’s Monthly Mingle roundup.

Oh, go ahead, order all three! Bon Appétit! 

An enormous and sincere Merci! to all who joined me this lovely month of April! All I can say is Ooh La La!

Les Entrées: 













Les Plats















Les Desserts:










Sally of My Custard Pie brings Lemon Mousse 








 

25 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A beautiful roundup! Everything looks droolworthy.

Paris, as a city, doesn't really attract me, but its great food does. ;-)

Cheers,

Rosa

MyFudo™ said...

I'd love to experience Paris...the romantic walks and of course the sumptuous food. I enjoyed the post. Thanks!

Robin O | what-about-the-food said...

Thank you Jamie for hosting this enticing feast and bravo to the participants who have shared these heavenly delights!

ooh la la indeed!

Javelin Warrior said...

Wow Jamie - so many delicious good eats in this roundup. I've been looking forward to it ever since I read about it on your blog. Now I have to go visit all these foodies I haven't met...

Fabulicious Food said...

Oh my, what a fabulous round-up of French treats! And a great selection of starters, mains and puds! Although, as I said, everything sounds better in French and I love you Julia Child quote, too. Thank you for hosting, I loved taking part! Now, if only that were a real table... x

Jamie said...

@Javelin Warrior - you should have participated and added to the table!

@Fabulicious Food - Right? I really wish we could all have this meal together! I am thrilled you (and Robin up there) cooked along - and I want to eat what you both made!

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

Gorgeous round up Jamie. Such an inspiring theme. Bravo

Lora said...

Fantastic roundup. So many gorgeous desserts. Bravo!

Arwa - LaMereCulinaire said...

Wow! Everything looks extremely mouth watering!
I'm so glad I took part of this monthly mingle!

Thanks Jamie!

Lisa said...

What gorgeous dishes submitted! I'm so pleased to be part of a round-up of such sumptuous and beautiful French cuisine. I want to taste everything! Thanks for such a great theme, and being such a patient, lovely host!

nina said...

Thats a great round up....lovely entries:) thank you!

kale said...

What a spread! Your post was beautifully written; I really enjoyed it. Merci!

Sarah said...

Now this is April in Paris! A wonderful collection of recipes. Thanks for organizing such a fun monthly mingle.

Junglefrog said...

I'm so happy I got to participate in this awesome Mingle and by reading your post you just made me want to go to Paris! Soon very soon I hope. It's been too long. Love all the entries and will check them all out!

Katie said...

Sigh.....
What more can I say?
I want to eat it all - and I want to eat it all in Paris.

Amanda said...

Oh, what glorious recipes and pictures. I used to make Oeuf's en Cocotte for my kids when they were little - how sophisticated was that!!
I'll be in Paris in spring, but I doubt I'll be looking anything like as glam as the belle's in your photo's!

wendy@chezchloe said...

Yes... this would be some kind of decadent potluck! I'm sorry I missed this round up. I'm researching honey recipes now.
One of my favorite days in Paris was coming out at Etienne Marcel and hitting the shops at Rue Montorgueil... Mora, A Simon, Detou, E Dehillerin. Then a little croissant, espresso, my little cart full trying to decide if I would treat myself to a taxi. Those were some good times!
Looking forward to meeting you in a couple weeks. wendy

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate said...

Lovely and a wonderful round-up. What a fun and interesting selection of dishes.

Now, of course, my 13 year old reminded us that she still has yet to get out of the airport in Paris, someday, someday.

WiseMóna said...

THIS is incredible I think that I am most drawn to Simones because of the pretty pinkness of it all. What a great idea Jamie - so amazing to see this line up. I hate that I missed it! Enjoy the weekend .... I am staying silent and seeing NOONE :0)

Rambling Tart said...

Wow - so many pretty and delicious things. :-) I just picked up a book with recipes from Paris' top bakeries and sigh, they're just wonderful. :-)

Ilva said...

what a fantastic feast! I completely missed it as I assumed the deadline was end of April-that will teach me to read instructions properly...

Ilva said...

what a fantastic feast! I completely missed it as I assumed the deadline was end of April-that will teach me to read instructions properly...

tandysinclair.com said...

oh my, was a great selection! I am so far behind after our holiday that I won't be able to visit them all - but they look fantastic :)

David @ Frenchie and the Yankee said...

Oh this looks outstanding! So much food and so little time to eat everything.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

You can tell I am trying to catch up ... Just wanted to say thank you so much for being my lovely hostess and taking us away in April to Paris. What a lovey set of entries and thank you to everyone who took part in the Monthly Mingle!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...